Mike Map


View Mike Map in a larger map

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two things

Usually, to my ears, Korean doesn't sound anything like the stereotypes of Asian languages I heard as a child. I'm talking about ching-chang-chong talk. This was even true when I first arrived and wasn't able to make sense of anything I heard.

But, check out this tongue twister that Chris just taught me:

간장 공장 공장장은 강 공장장이고
된장 공장 공장장은 장 공장장이다.

Romanized:
(a makes an "ah" sound, o makes an "oh" sound, i is like ee in "see," "eu" is like oo in "book", and "oi" sounds like "way" (including the w). The consonants are straightforward.)

Ganjang gongjang gongjangjangeun Kang gongjangjang-igo
Doinjang gongjang gongjangjangeun Jang gongjangjang-ida.

Word-by-word translation:
Soysauce factory factoryboss Kang factoryboss-isand
Soybeanpaste factory factoryboss Jang factoryboss-is.

Or,
The soy sauce factory factoryboss is Factoryboss Kang, and
the soybean paste factory factoryboss is Factoryboss Jang.


In other news, my India visa came in the mail today. Now all I need is some work clothes, malaria tablets, and a bucket of sunscreen.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What malaria tablets are you taking? I have advice on this subject- especially since you're going to be there for an extended period of time. I would highly recommend Mefloquine or Malarone over Doxycycline. You may be there for too long for Malarone (I think its now only approved for up to 3 months?), but thats the reason I would advise against Doxy. 4 months on antibiotics = bad idea. However, being an antibiotic, it will help you avoid some stomachbugs, so thats a positive side of it. Mefloquine is probably your best bet, but read up on the crazy side effects (I used to hallucinate that there were men in my room at night in Uganda).