Mike Map


View Mike Map in a larger map

Friday, August 03, 2012

Mystery Salt Deception / 신비 소금 속음

"Baeksul 5000 Year Mystery Salt
Delicious Salt made from Natural Salt"
 
At one point on my trip, maybe the 3rd day, I stopped to buy some ingredients so that I could cook my own lunch.  Namely, vegetables, perilla powder, and salt.  I chose a certain bag because it 1) had a nice drawing of a guy working at an old school salt-mill, 2) cost a little more, possibly reflecting the higher price of more eco-friendly operations, and 3) had a resealable zip top.  When I got home at the end of the trip, the friend I'm living with, Mina, informed me that the salt is in fact 10%MSG.  I didn't know what to do - I realize that eating it won't kill me, but I don't really want to consume it; yet I also don't want to throw it out, since all the environmental damage involved in production would then be for nothing, and anyway the MSG will wind up running into someone else's food or water. Mina came up with a nice idea: send it to the company with an angry letter.  I wrote it in English and Korean and she checked it for me.  Here it is.  First is her explanation of the background....

나를 얹혀살게 해 주신 미나누나는 한국말로 설명을 잘 해 주시는군요!
집에 소금이 하나 있다
마이크가 여행중에 사서 조리할 때 사용한 소금이다
그런데 자세히 보니 [천일념으로 만든 맛소금]이라고 되어 있다
오천년의 신비라는 카피와 함께

이 소금을 어째야하나
내 건강을 생각하면 버려야하고
그냥 버리면 토양오염 또는 수질오염에 보탬이 될 게다

마이크는 그제 점심 요리에 이 소금을 썼다
그냥 버릴 수는 없으니 내가 먹어야겠다며

백설]로 착불로 보내버리는 방법은 어떨까?
당신들의 헷갈리는 광고에 현혹되어 소금인 줄 알고 샀으니
환불은 되었고 당신들이나 많이 드시오 하고!


To Whom It May Concern,

I’m Mike, a humble foreigner living and traveling in your beautiful country.  For five years I’ve worked hard, dedicating myself to my students while also doing my best to serve the environment around me in various ways. 

Recently, on a bicycle trip that took me from Daegu to Pohang, up the east coast to Tongiljeongmangdae, then through the mountains of Gangwondo and along the Bukhangang to Seoul, I stopped at a small market in a town whose name I don’t remember to buy some ingredients.  Among them was salt.  I chose your company’s salt because I trusted the package.  Other salt, with its transparent plastic and overall cheap look, gives me the impression that the company is cutting corners wherever it can.  Yours, on the other hand, depicts a lone man working on an old wooden device and declares itself to be the bearer of “a Five Thousand Year Old Mystery.”

The mystery to me is how you could knowingly, intentionally imply that your product is natural, traditional, and premium, when in reality a full 1/10th of it is composed of glutamates and other additives.  A further mystery is what these products will do to my brain and body, particularly when without my knowing it up to ten percent of every seasoning I purchase might be made of it.  I feel betrayed and deceived.  My Korean level is decent, and still I would have known nothing if not for a knowledgeable, skeptical Korean friend who pointed out to me that I had been tricked.  I feel sorry for all other foreigners who, either through lack of language skill or lack of close contact with Koreans, run the risk of sacrificing their health and violating their ideals through the consumption of your product. 

Surely, part of the fault is mine for letting down my guard.  I should have known to read the ingredients.  Then again, it’s clear to me that you did your best to make sure I wouldn’t.  Shame on you for such underhanded tactics, and for such blatant disrespect for those who may or may not choose to buy your products.  I am hereby returning the salt.  I won’t ask for a refund.  Instead, please put the money towards hiring a designer who will design an honest package for you.  

Thank you for your attention.

Mike Roy

관계자 제위

안녕하세요.  저는 당신의 아름다운 나라에서 살고 여행하고 있는 겸손한 외국인인 마이크입니다.  제가  학생들에게 헌신하며 가르치면서, 저를 둘러싼 환경을 여러가지 방법으로 돕는데 5년을 바쳤습니다.  

최근에 대구에서 포항까지, 동해 바닷가를 따라 통일정망대까지, 강원도의 산길을 해서, 북한강을 따라 서울까지의 자전거 여행하는 길에 한번 이름도 기억이 정도로 작은 시골 마트에서 들러서 재료를 샀습니다.  가운데 소금이 있었습니다.  포장을 믿고 백설 오천년의 신비 천일염 맛소금 샀습니다.  다른 소금은 투명하고  찟기 쉬울 같은 비닐로 포장이 되어 있어서, 회사는 부실작업하는 회사일까봐, 환경을 제대로 존경을 할까봐, 소금을 산다는 것을 삼갔습니다.  오히려, 백설 소금은 나무로 만든 옛날의 기계에서 일을 하는 남자를 보여 주면서 오천년의 신비 품는다고 합니다.

저한테 신비스러운것은, 십분에 글루타민과 다른 첨가물들이 들어 가는 제품을 당신 제품을 일부로 천연, 전통, premium 같은 단어로묘사할 있다는 것입니다.  다른 신비스러운 것은, 첨가들은 저의 뇌과 몸에 어떤 영향을 미칠 것인지입니다.  특히, 제가 사는 모든 양념은 백설소금처럼 10% 첨가물이면.  저는 배신을 당하고 속은 것처럼 느껴집니다.  저는 한국어를 비교적으로 하는데도,  제가 속았다고 알려 , 아는 것과 의심이 많은 한국인 친구가 없었더라면, 저는 영원히 몰랐을 거예요.  다른 외국인들, 특히, 한국어를   못하는 친구들, 또는 그런 한국 친구를 아직도 사귄 친구들, 당신의 제품을 사는 것을 통해 자기의 원칙을 위반할 가능성, 그리고 자기의 건강을 해칠 가능성 아주 높은 같습니다. 

확실하게 저도 재료를 제대로 읽어서 자신을 꾸준히 보호했어야 됩니다.  그래도, 제가 봤을 , 백설에서 제가 그렇게 하게 만들었던 것도 분명합니다.  쪽팔릴 만한 전략입니다.  고객은 당신의 제품을 살든 말든 당신의 존경을 받을 만한 사람입니다.  저는 소금을 반납하겠습니다.  돈은 돌려달라고 하지 않겠습니다.  그대신에 돈을 써서 정직한 포장을 만들어 사람을 고용하시길 바랍니다. 

읽어 주셔서 감사합니다. 

Mike Roy

My first protest letter!  Tons of fun, and I got a Korean lesson out of it!
나의 첯번째 항의의 편지!  재미도 있고 한국어 실력 높였음ㅎㅎ  

And even found a new Korean pun: So-geum Sog-eum = Salt deception
속음 소금 - 받침이 중요하구나!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have indeed been reading about your "pre-adventure adventures"! And there's little that's more fun than writing protest letters to salt manufacturers! (seriously, this letter looked like it would be fun to write.) I'm cheering you on all the way, Kroy. Love!